Major changes have occurred to the beaglebone web interface over the past week or so. I’ve improved its functionality dramatically. Keep reading for a mini-changelog.
- I got rid of some of the unused space. Mainly the side menu which will only have a few links on it so there wasn’t much reason for it. I moved that to the top.
- Streamlined some of the design elements and removed the thermometers because they did not fit with the design of the rest of the UI. I replaced them with a “cards-UI” type interface (see Google Plus) for better readability.
- Below the temperature values, I added a large chart. Both the chart and temperature readings will auto update when the brewing process has started.
- I decided to steer away from using PHP and/or python to control the PID. It was just going to be too complicated and frustrating to use. I have instead been learning how to use NodeJS over the past several weeks, which is nicer because your code can run as a service that listens for input commands and can continually process input values. It made more sense for this type of project.
- The PID controller component is tested and functioning at this time. I just need to code for the individual on/off pump functionality and safety code to ensure all three elements do not fire at the same time.
- At the top left you will notice a WiFi signal strength indicator. Using node, I am able to get the current network’s connection strength in dBm. I then compare that to a range of values to output the number of corresponding bars and color for the indicator.
Overall, progress is slowly being made. I hope to put up some photos of putting the control panel together in the next week or so. I’ll eventually get around to writing a tutorial for how to use a PID controller in NodeJS. I’ll work on updating the Supply List this weekend as well. Keep an eye out!